Monday, September 1, 2008

First Post.....

Well here it goes, my first post. Where do I start? Trav and I have just moved to NYC for Trav to attend Grad School at Columbia University. He is in the Masters in Real Estate Development program and he is really excited to gain more knowledge on a topic he is passionate about. This opportunity and decision came upon us pretty quickly. Trav had always contemplated going back to school but just hadn't found a program he felt right about at least until December 31st when a good friend Jeff Wood told Trav that he was applying to this program. Long story short we talked about it and decided to give it a shot. We thought it was quite a long shot and just continued our lives as normal. Then came April 1st the day Trav was notified he was accepted. We were excited, scared, happy and sad. Everything in our lives changed not better, not worse, just a completely different direction. Trav had to quit his job working with his dad for Inklyne which he had been doing for basically forever. That was definitely a huge and difficult decision for him. I had been working with Mortgage Solutions for 4 1/2 years and loved it I had to change companies to one that I would be able to work virtually with. That was also very hard for me.
Other than that we had to leave our family and friends that we miss so much already and our house in Salt Lake that we just finished remodeling after two years of grueling work. The months preceding our move have been some of the hardest we have been through but now that we are here we are truly excited about the growth and experience we will have here! And we are soooo happy that we have the Wood's (Jeff and Katie) to share this adventure with.
Katie and Jeff are so nice to let us stay with them until we get our apartment......keep your fingers crossed that it will happen TOMORROW!!!!The boys first day of school....they were so nervous :) ha ha just kidding. They look like missionaries
Our first meal "at home" chinese, this was before the moving truck came with the couch, beds etc.
Baseball game GO YANKEES!!!
Katie and I being tourists, don't you love the hats?

17 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations, this should be a very exciting adventure for you two. I would love for an opportunity like this. I miss hanging out with you guys. I hope everything goes well. Keep us updated!

Keri Cannon said...

How fun!!!! It seriously is like an extended vacation for you guys! I really am jealous...I'm so happy you started a blog! Now I can see what you guys have been up to. See you in 3 1/2 weeks!

The Jonssons said...

I LOVE NEW YORK!

Some of my fondest memories with and without 'kids' are there....enjoy - we miss you in Utah (Natalie was very upset the day you left)....but what an opportunity!

Go Cubbies (the Yankees really!)

Scott and Deb Jonsson

Grandma Taylor said...

I am so happy for you and Trav and wish you the best. I love keeping up with my grandchildren on their blogs and the things they are doing. I also love the pictures. I am glad you have friends there with you it makes it nice to be able to do things with people you know

Val, Matt, and Madison said...

I'm so glad you started a blog! We missed you SO much at GNO!! One down, 8 more to go! Shea and I are still planning on coming to visit!

Lindsay said...

cute blog! it'll be fun to see how you guys are doing in new york. good luck with your apartment, i hope it came through!

The Nortons said...

Looks like so much fun! We had friends who just got back from doing that exact thing. Does Jeff Wood have a brother named Rob? Anyway, enjoy New York!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy and proud of you both. But hurry up cause we miss you WAY too much! Camerson and Jordan, or shall I say Pebbles and Bam Bam... What a good idea to start a blog. Now we can bug you ALL the time. Love you guys and best of luck.. Hopefully we can come visit sometime!

Blanck said...

"TraB and MELLY" we miss you guys so much already. So glad you finally did a blog so we can stay in good touch with photos and posts. We love you and are so proud of you. Woody and Trav make for good looking missionaries. Did you send them with lunch boxes and batman backpacks? Alyssa would think that was cool.
Make sure you and KK stake out all the good shopping before I come.
hugs

Aunt Sherry said...

So good to hear from you guys. It sounds like a great experience for you both. I talked with your Dad a few days ago and he mentioned you had moved to New York. I wish you all the best and let's keep in touch. Love you..Aunt Sherry

Al & Whitney said...

So so jealous you live in NYC. I love it there!! Looks like so much fun. Oh and nice background on your blog....we are using that print for everything in my wedding...lol

Whitney
Oh we have a blogspot too....alandwhitney.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is nice Mel. You are so far away, but this brings you close. New York, what a fun place to VISIT. I know this is a great adventure for you both. I am happy that you have the opportunity to do this at this time. Make memories, they last a lifetime. I love and miss you both. Looking forward to the next episode.

Bruschke said...

FANTASTIC! I am so glad we can play cyber catch-up! Looks fun(read:adventurous) Love you guys!

Argyle's said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you started a blog! We so missed you at girls night this month, it's not the same without Mel! :) I'm so excited for you guys tho, I'm sure you are loving it and it will be a great experience. I sure wish I was in New York! I'm excited to see all your fun pics to come! I keep thinking of calling you, but it's always at like 9 or 10 our time, which obviously wouldn't work for you. I'll work on that! :)

Fam in Real Life said...

Miss and Love you both. We've adopted Zach for a few weeks and have loved getting to know him better. Hope school is going well for Trav. Miss and Love you! The kids send hugs and kisses. xoxo

Mindy said...

Welcome to the blogging world! I love it!! And you say I don't update often enough, come on Mel, it's been 5 days since your last post!! haha jk Love you guys!!

Zack Family said...

Hey Mel, I found your blog off your facebook! I love the blogs. THats so exciting you moved to NEWYORK. We just moved to Michigan. Life is crazy how quick it can change. Hope you're doing good!